Thursday, December 6, 2007

Vegan Chocolate Beet Cupcakes


I am a big fan of the chocolate beet cake at Middle Way in Anchorage and I've always wanted to recreate it at home. It took a while for me to acquire all of the ingredients and equipment that I needed; but today was the day that it all came together. I've had a can of beets in the pantry for about 2 months now...I bought them with the intention of making this cake before I realized I needed a food processor to puree them. I got the food processor as an early Christmas present from two of my wonderful aunts. The last ingredient, the cocoa powder, was bought by Brittney last night. It was well worth the wait and these cupcakes are amazing! I whipped up a chocolate peanut butter icing to top them off...but they would have equally wonderful sans icing.

Vegan Chocolate Beet Cupcakes

1 15 oz. can sliced beets
1/2 c. safflower or canola oil
1 c. brown sugar
2 c. flour ( I used 3/4 c. all-purpose and 1 1/4 c. whole wheat)
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. instant coffee (optional)
dash of cinnamon (optional)
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325-degrees and fill a cupcake pan with paper/foil liners.

Drain beets, reserving the liquid, and puree in the food processor. Add just about a 1/4 c. of the beet liquid back in to thin the puree. Add oil and sugar to food processor and pulse a few more times; until well mixed.

In a separate bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix in coffee and cinnamon. Add the beet mixture to the flour mixture and stir well. Fold in chocolate chips.

Divide batter into muffin pan; it should make about 12 cupcakes. Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean ( I just touch the tops to see if they've firmed up) If desired, ice cupcakes when completely cool...or frost one to eat while still warm if you can't wait...like me!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Icing

1/4 c. all-natural creamy peanut butter
3 tbsp. water
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar

Add peanut butter, water, cocoa powder, and vanilla to a medium size bowl and mix well with a hand mixer. Gradually add powdered sugar and continue mixing until it reaches a smooth and spreadable consistency.

1 comment:

C&C Cakery said...

I really love this recipe! I was having a hard time finding a vegan recipe that didn't use soy milk or fake eggs/yogurt etc. I can't wait to try these! Thank you for sharing!