Sunday, January 27, 2008

Catch up

So, it's been a while since I've posted anything. It's been busy getting back into school and balancing my schedule-plus, I haven't been feeling very expressive lately. I am finally ready, however, to share some of the things I've been making lately. Nothing too exciting...and a few that I didn't photograph.
It's been chilly here lately so breakfast has been steel cut oats just about every day. I LOVE oatmeal...but get bored with it some days. So while it cooks I look through every food containing cabinet or shelf that I have in order to spice up my bowl of warmth. On most days I chop up some apple and add it in as soon as the pot starts to boil. On one particularly inspired morning, I found a can of pumpkin and some unsweetened shredded coconut. I toasted up the coconut and stirred in the pumpkin and some cinnamon when I added the milk towards the end of the cooking process. I topped it with banana and the coconut; transforming a bland bowl of oatmeal to a super-nutritious, extra-flavorful breakfast treat.
Brittney had a project in her aromatherapy class that required her to research an essential oil of her choice. She chose vanilla and asked me if I would make vanilla cupcakes for her to bring to class as part of her presentation. The first batch was a failure-I still haven't perfect high altitude baking and I think there was too much batter for the 12 cupcakes that the recipe was supposed to make...they came out tasting delicious but pretty ugly. So, I tried another recipe from the Joy of Baking. They came out perfect and I whipped up some vanilla frosting and drew a vanilla flower on all of them. I was told they were a hit.
Tonight I made a Spicy Winter Squash Galette from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I've had a small pumpkin, two actually, since Halloween and it's taken me this long to do anything with them. I originally saw this recipe on The Today Show and then I bought the cookbook...which is my favorite cookbook at the moment. The galette has a very deep savory flavor and a perfectly flaky crust. In the future I would probably use a little less squash...or perhaps more liquid-the pumpkin cubes at the top didn't stay as moist as the ones closer to the crust. A drizzle of olive oil over the top before putting it in the oven would probably correct this, also. Sweet potatoes would be great for a substitution. Some whole milk yogurt and cilantro on top rounded out the flavors quite well.
Here are some pictures of my apartment since we've added some decorations...
Other than that...I'm totally excited about my new job at a cafe a block from my house. School is going to keep my VERY busy for the next few months-so, I'll be trying to cook and do as much yoga as I can to keep my sane. Wish me luck.

No comments: